Monday, August 01, 2005

Parking Lots

Something has been happening time and time again in my area and it makes me wonder. Last Spring, a guy in a truck backed into my car behind him in the Home Depot parking lot. His response was..."I didn't see your car because it sits so much lower than my truck." Obviously it was his mistake and his insurance paid for it... but I found out later that because any claim was made it counts against me anyway--hence my insurance rates went up a little bit. So I was steamed, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Today, my daughter was walking into the store, holding my hand as per the rule, and as we walked down the parking lot roadway a car was backing out from beyond the minivan we were behind. I pulled my daughter back in time, and the driver admitted she couldn't see a thing with a truck on one side of her and a minivan on the other until she'd backed out beyond them.

So it makes me wonder. With the current trend in Vermont and many other areas leaning towards the bigger SUVs and trucks, why can't stores designate portions of their parking lots for sedans only and SUVs and trucks on the other side? I don't have a problem with SUVs and trucks, if you can afford them, great! But I will admit that I don't back into parking spots anymore, I always find a spot where I can drive straight out. And my reasoning is that if two larger vehicles park on each side of me, my vision is blocked. I've been sandwiched in the past between two Chevy Avalanches (a truck I love, but could never justify splurging on for myself) and visibility when you are in a sedan is horrendous. You cannot see a thing with two much larger and longer vehicles on each side. For a person's safety, I do not see why a parking lot couldn't be split in half, larger vehicles on one side and smaller cars on the other.

No comments: