Monday, August 22, 2005

Movies

I loved Shrek & Shrek 2. Especially #2, which I felt was geared towards adults with many references to movies and music from the 80's.

So this weekend it was rather rainy and dreary, so after sitting around all afternoon with no plans - I got that itch. We've all had that MUST GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING itch - I'm no different. So after fighting it for a couple of hours - my husband announced that he thought it would be a good idea to go to the movies and maybe even to dinner if it was in the budget. So after some quick thought... I realized his OT pay for last week was enough for dinner and the movies and we headed out.

We have a newer cinema in a town called Williston. It's a 35 mile drive, but I live rural and anything worth doing is at least 20 miles away anyway. Next door to the new cinema is this little Italian place called Nicco's Cucina. We'd never been, mainly because I try to do the low-carb thing most of the time. So we go into Nicco's (they have a deal - dinner and a movie for $20) and spent $80 including a pitcher of wine and desserts - but that included our movie tickets and we were too stuffed after dinner to bother with the concession stand.

So anyway - we went to see Valiant. It's by the producer of Shrek...and contains the same computer animations. I was pretty psyched - Ewan MacGregor, John Cleese, Rik Mayall... I love these guys and figured the movie would be filled with laughs. Sadly, while the movie is okay, it's nothing I'd want to see again.

The premise is this puny carrier pigeon (Ewan) who wants to join the services. He ends up being enlisted (after a bit of a snit fit by another pigeon who is trying to escape trouble) and then due to the failure rates of the other pigeons - Ewan's group is sent out to retrieve and deliver a top secret message from France. (This is based on actual use of pigeons during WWII). The movie has its charm, but it just wasn't as funny as I was expecting. With a top-notch voice cast, I think they could have done much better.

No comments: