Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Parental word of advice

I had a very busy day yesterday. Someone I know had been very sick for two days, severe stomachache, vomiting, fever... Symptoms started on Sunday and were progressing steadily.

So on Monday I talked to his mother after he'd called me asking if I had any tea (which I always have in the house), so I made him a cup of mint tea, added some extra sugar and walked it over. I took one look at him (pale as a sheet of paper), asked him if he'd ever had his appendix out--he said no, and then went home and got in touch with his mother. Told her I was seriously thinking his appendix was the issue and that she needed to get him to the docs ASAP. In a nutshell, she came home that night after work, asked him how he was feeling - he said better and that he really didn't want to go to the ER (he's scared of docs) so she left it.

This is where I don't want to get preachy, but I'm going to anyway. As parents we are responsible for our children's welfare. I don't think anyone will argue that point. If your child pushes you aside when you suggest a doc, then force the issue. If my kids are that sick, I don't give them a choice, they go whether they want to or not. In this case, the pain to the right of the belly button, fever, vomiting all suggested appendicitis to me. So yesterday, he came crawling to my house (not literally crawling, but he was walking like the hunchback doing this shuffle walk) and I asked him again if he'd been to the doc. He said no, so I told him to call him mom at work and I'd take him. No putting it off any longer. Thankfully, he isn't one to tell me no, he usually doesn't put up too much of a fight with me.

So I did take him for her, the doc saw him. Called his mom, called a surgeon and asked if I could get him up to the hospital, which I did. I'm still waiting to hear what's going on, I know they were doing a CAT scan, and that the doc said he was 90% certain that it is his appendix and that is has ruptured, hence why he started feeling better. No one came home last night, so I would assume the surgery is over, but this kid is like my son so I'm a little worked up right now waiting to hear if all went fine...

But if your child has a stomachache, ask where! If it is to the right of the belly button, go to a doc ASAP, regardless of what your child says. The doc also said if hunching over is more comfortable than that can also be a sign. Fever, vomiting - other signs. Even if you take your child to the doctor and there is nothing other than a stomach bug, it's worth the time and money spent. A ruptured appendix can eventually kill, and no child or parent wants to face that!!!

No comments: