Saturday, August 13, 2005

Gas Prices???

Not two days ago, I was complaining about the comparison between salary increases being way out of touch with the increased cost of living. And then yesterday I happened to need to gas up my car.

Now my husband and I both drive fuel efficient cars (THANK GOD) and usually get at least 30 miles to the gallon. I drove to our local gas station and found $2.499 was the current price for regular. I refused to pay that much and kept driving. NOTHING was cheaper. That's a 15 cent increase from the last time I had to gas up my car.

Now I know that I am not the only one who is dealing with these inflated prices, and I also know that Vermont is relatively inexpensive still compared to other states. But $2.50 a gallon is insane. Then on the news last night, there was an article on a recent poll. Families are having to decide between gas to get to work and heating fuel or groceries and they are picking gas obviously and skipping their weekly grocery trip. Now where I live, there is no public transportation. Unless you live in Burlington, South Burlington, Williston or part of Essex Junction buses don't run. We are too rural and small for subways or commuter trains. So public transportation isn't an option. To cut costs, you have to car pool, but for my husband he's a wierd shift and has yet to find anyone who is willing to set up a car pool. 7 to 3 is not the norm around here. Thankfully, I'm at home and only have to drive for errands which I try to pool together in one shot.

How can the government not do anything about this? The price of electric cars needs to be made more reasonable. Something needs to change with the crude oil price. I know someone who just returned from duty and happened to go into Saudi Arabia where the gas price there was a meager 5 cents per gallon. Can you even imagine 5 cents per gallon??? I can remember gas at 99 cents over 10 years ago, but 5 cents a gallon... I'd love it!

So what is everyone else having to pay at the pump?

No comments: