Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Back To School Shopping

I did my shopping last month, but I do have a complaint that goes out to a good number of stores and clothing manufacturers. Two years ago, our school opted to come up with a dress code after numerous younger girls were coming to school dressed like Britney Spears. The code states, quite simply, that no spaghetti straps are allowed, shirts must cover the midriff, and shorts and skirts must be at least one inch longer than the length of the fingertips when your arm is hanging down to the side of you. That's nothing different than when I was in school. My issue comes with finding clothes that meet all of these issues. First, I thank Old Navy for actually getting it right. Without Old Navy, I would have been hard pressed to find anything.

I went into Marshalls and TJ Maxx first and every pair of shorts and skirts I picked up in a size 10 (children's size 10 no less) barely covered the butt cheeks. They were horrendously short. While I was able to find jeans, I still needed some shorts for the remainder of summer. There were a few decent shirts, but a lot have one normal sleeve and then the other side is a spaghetti strap. Children don't need to be dressing like this and I'm upset with the fact that manufacturers feel there's nothing wrong with it --it's the current trend...

I found a load of shirts that showed stomach - again no 9 or 10 year old needs to be exposing skin. Let them be kids!!!!!

Finally at Old Navy, I was able to find decent shirts for an affordable price. But even then, some of Old Navy's (some, not all) shorts and skirts were cut very short.

It's times like these that I wish I wasn't a complete flop with a sewing machine - I know I could create a decent outfit that was eye catching without being trampy. Leave the low-cut, skin exposing outfits for the adults--the only crowd who I think should be wearing them--maybe...

No comments: