Thursday, August 25, 2005

Fall Foliage In Vermont

I know next month is when an influx of tourists start coming into Vermont hoping to see the foliage change. Usually hotels, inns and the likes book up very early, so my advice is to book early!

This year, I'm guessing that the foliage will be turning a little early. We've had a tremendously hot summer with a dry spell for a couple of weeks. That always messes up the foliage. But my real proof comes from one of my trees that started changing this week. Leaves on that tree are turning yellow. It's early for them, but this week we got trapped in this weird cycle of cooler temperatures (high 60's to low 70's) and at around noon every day this week so far, the sun vanishes, black clouds roll in, and the skies open up for about five minutes with a deluge of rain. I think that has really confused some of the trees on our land.

We're heading back to normal temperatures starting today--though I admit I was enjoying being back in jeans and sweaters. What this will do to slow trees turning, I'm not sure! The thing with foliage season is that it will do what it wants regardless of what people predict. :-)

No comments: