Wednesday, August 03, 2005

News article

I saw this article on the news last week that bothers me... It makes me wonder what aren't parents telling their children, or are children just ignoring what we say? I can't imagine my kids will ignore the things I shared with them this weekend.

There is this new "game" spreading around the U.S. Children are dying from it. I've seen my neighbor with his cutting and then huffing--he almost killed himself, and his mom never thought that he'd do something so dangerous - yet he did. He's a troubled kid and looks for attention any way he can get it.

But this new trend - Crazy Chicken, Suffocation Roulette, Spacemonkey, Flatliner... it's scary. The damage a kid can do to themselves by cutting off bloodflow is something they should be well aware of. http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/USATODAY/2005/07/20/937104?extID=10032&oliID=213

Talk to your kids. We sacrifice, I stay home with my kids and will until both are in middle school which means the bus comes home after my husband is home. I know this is an impossibility for many and most families. But regardless, keep the lines of communication open. If they haven't mentioned it, bring it up. Let them know just what can happen! Remember Michael Hutchence from INXS? Suffocation isn't pretty, and no child should be doing it to themselves!

No comments: