Monday, December 12, 2005

Hey it's the holidays aka GOOD will towards men.

Okay, I know I touched on this earlier this season, but I find myself needing to return to this subject. I realize that Christmas shopping can be horribly stressful. If you are the type who gets angry, then can I PLEASE suggest shopping online???

Of all insane places, I had to go to Walmart. I tried using a local photo print shop and they did a horrible job with my prints - in fact, they cut off half of a head while they went crop happy, so I refused the pictures and had Walmart do them instead. It's cheaper and I'm afraid the quality is much better with the 1 hour photos. Unfortunately, this also meant dealing with insane holiday shoppers.

While there, we bought a replacement printer for the Brother printer that died its Error 41 death. So I was in the electronic section, the clerk said the line started "here", so I looked around and not another soul was around, so I got into line. Ten minutes later, some guy comes up and starts accusing me of having cut ahead of him in line and he was getting very aggressive, so my husband suggested we just leave and go pay up front. So I did so. It's not worth getting into fist fights which is where this guy was heading from the looks of it.

So I have no fear of the "Self-serve" registers and I got into one of those lines. Unfortunately the machine balked anytime someone had something from the electronics department. It took us 40 minutes to check-out. I wasn't thrilled, but no line was moving faster...

Here is where people need a reality check. Behind me, a woman got totally frustrated with the line and decided she was leaving. I understand that. What I don't understand was why on earth she then body checked a man to the side of me. Literally shoving him out of the way so that he fell to the ground with this creepy sounding thud as he fell to the ground and whacked his head on my ankle and the concrete floor (I had good boots on so any injury to me was buffered). Everyone around us thought he'd broken his hip bone by the way he got up limping and my husband and I are betting that he had one hell of a headache that afternoon - if not a mild concussion. He took a very hard fall. It was after this that the woman suddenly said "Oh, my God I feel horrible. I'm so sorry, I never meant to hurt anyone but I was so fed up with things."

So lesson learned for her, but I don't think that's good enough. If you have issues of this nature and your anger is going to get the best of you, then just don't go out mid-afternoon on a Saturday. Someone is bound to get hurt. IN this case, I suppose it was the guy's pride that had him fleeing the store without letting store employees call in for medical treatment.

Somewhere along the way things are getting too far out of hand. It's CHRISTMAS, a time for giving from the heart - not for trying to beat each other into submission! So please, stop, take a breath and then lighten up! This isn't what I want my children learning about the holidays and I doubt many others would want their children watching adults fight over lines, certain toys, etc. It's just not what Christmas is about!

No comments: