Monday, December 19, 2005

Do your taste buds change with age?

I'm curious. As you grow older, do your taste buds change? I have spent the first portion of my life detesting beer. I couldn't drink the stuff. Hops tasting like perfume just disgusted me. So I was shocked when in the past two or three years, I found beer more appetizing than a sweet wine. I can't drink zinfandel anymore, it tastes like sugary grape juice. I'll still drink a wine a few times a year, but it has to be very, very dry. Burgundy has become a favorite.

However, as the months pass, I find myself becoming more and more intrigued with beer. I've always enjoyed helping my husband with his home-brewing. Making beer is a science that is extremely fulfilling. Now as I make it, I find myself drinking beer and being able to pick out the hops that the brewer uses. This shocks me. I also am surprised that the light beers I used to love just don't satisfy me in the same manner. I'm branching out. I still can't stomach stout or the really dark beers, but my husband cracks up when I order Peroni or Moretti at our favorite Italian spot. Take me to an Indian restaurant and I'll order Taj Mahal every time.

I'm convinced that it has to be something to do with your taste buds altering as you grow older. Otherwise, I'm baffled.

No comments: