Sunday, January 15, 2006

The past rears its ugly head and raises a question

Throughout my high school life, I was ridiculed constantly by a number of the "popular" girls. (Most of us were, so you know where I am coming from.) Anyway, when I'd started high school, I was wearing a size 16, I lost a good deal of weight and wore a size 12 from my sophomore year on. Despite that weight loss, the "fat" comments never stopped. One of the biggest offenders was one of the female jocks-we'll call her "Sue" for the purpose of this exchange.

Today is Sunday, so it is the one day of the week that we'll actually buy a newspaper. In my thirties now, I'm getting old enough that few people that I know are in the wedding/engagement announcements anymore. Sadly, I tend to see more former friends and acquaintances listed in their parents obits. Today was one of those days. One of my former classmates, and one of the people who taunted me the most, was listed as the loving daughter, but it was the next statement that caught me off guard - it said that "Sue" lived in Jericho with her Companion "Cynthia". This immediately caught my eye... "Sue" is obviously a lesbian. I'm not sure when she realized it, but after all the harassment she gave me over being "fat", I can't help but wonder, if she knew then WHY did she (knowing full well how the insults can hurt) keep the harassment up on her end. Often, her friends had to put an end to her taunting because she'd be over the top with her comments. I know I was not the only person "Sue" liked to verbally harass, but it makes me angry. I'm betting she KNEW what it was like to be on the receiving end of stinging comments, so why didn't she put an end to it? If she wanted to be respected for her differences, why not start by accepting others?

I'm sure she has her side to this little drama, but it really does make me wonder now with the intolerance she faced/faces, if she really regrets the way she treated a large number of people back in high school.

No comments: