Monday, January 30, 2006

Homebrewing

Ten or so years ago, my husband got into homebrewing. I love cooking, so homebrewing really became a hobby for me. At the time, I didn't drink beer, so while I loved making a batch of beer for my hubby and his friends, I never sampled it.

Now I am drinking beer regularly and am finding myself branching out into what I enjoy and what I can't stand - apparently lager is my thing. I love lager. I just finished up our very first mead - it took 4 months to ferment - FOREVER - but we sampled some before bottling it yesterday and I can say that it is extremely potent and tastes like the mead we used to get for Christmas from my sis-in-law who worked for a meadmaker up in Stowe, VT. They've since shut their doors, so it was interesting to return to the world of mead. I'm not sure I'll do it again because it does work forever!

Anyway - Amstel Light has become my beer of choice, but it's not cheap. $13 a twelve-pack here. So I've decided that a clone of Amstel Light is my next goal. My basement is great for lager making as it is 55 down there year round. Now my problem is that I can't find a clone recipe for Amstel anywhere. If anyone has one, please share!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, i am also having a time with this quest - i found out 30% of it is flaked rice...i'm guessing they make a condensed batch of pilsner/2.5L crystal malt wort like they do with heineken, and then add pre-boiled and cooled water until they get the right gravity reading/viscosity - and then i think they use isinglass to clear with a german lager yeast....
i am going to try some ideas next month - i will let you know if i should stumble on this secret recipe...

Roundtable Review Staff said...

Eventually, I found a recipe in an older book that worked pretty well. I don't have it with me, but I'll post it. It's a little cloudier than the real thing, but the taste was right.