Thursday, January 05, 2006

Favorites

I have a good case of the winter blahs going. Usually it hits me earlier, so I'm quite happy it held off until the time of year when the days begin getting longer again. However, I'm also finding myself turning more to baking as a release - not a good thing for the waistline!

Years ago, my mom and her neighbors/buddies started this thing called "Herman." Now Herman was in essence a sourdough starter that they passed around, kept chilled, fed daily and then spent more time coming up with recipes to use him up. We ate Herman bread, Herman pancakes, Herman waffles, Herman you-name-it.

So a few months ago, I was handed a copy of this cookbook that I truly have come to adore. It was a "gift" from Marlboro to smokers - now you have to pay $20 on Ebay if you want to get a copy. I lucked out and was given a copy that I am wearing thin. This cookbook is exceptional and I want the second, only that means I have to bid and win for the Blue one. Anyway, this cookbook is all cowboy cooking. Chilis, stews, campfire cuisine. I LOVE IT.

In this book was a recipe for creating your own sourdough starter. I decided to give it a shot - sourdough bread is a favorite of mine. I now have the most fragrant, tangy starter out there. I'm caring for this starter on a daily basis and have run out of recipes in books, so now I'm exploring the web for more. Anyone want to share?

I'm convinced that anyone can create a starter. I have a clay crock with a lid (former crock pot dish, but the actual heating part of the crockpot died, so I only have the removable crock left which works perfectly for my starter. Take 2 cups of water, 2 cups of flour and a teaspoon of yeast. Mix it, cover it and then leave it alone. Give it three or four days and you end up with this mixture that smells like hard cider. It's incredible.

Then if anyone wants - in this cookbook is a recipe for quick and easy sourdough biscuits that is foolproof! I'll share later.

Tracy

1 comment:

Roundtable Review Staff said...

I will never, ever forget the "Friendship" cake your mom made when I was just out of high school. You brought it over to my parents for Christmas one year and that thing was so alcoholic you could get tipsy just smelling it!

I have that recipe. I should dig it out and make a cake or two. :-)