Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Differences between men and women

You know, we recently started doing some updating to our bathroom. I am a HGTV junkie and had plenty of ideas that my husband was willing to go along with. However, work details make us completely different people. Plumbing is not anyone's friend usually. What amazes me is that my cool, level-headed husband took to cursing at anyone and anything that got in the path of his slow leak. I understand the frustration, but to go to that extreme with the grumpiness-factor seemed so out of character. It was a simple leak that in my opinion could be fixed with silicone stuff, yet he turned it into a major production of pulling the entire drain apart three times to make sure it was perfect.

So I ventured into asking him why it bothered him so much. His response - "it makes us feel less of a man if we can't complete a simple "manly" task. Is that really it? I can't sew to save my life, but does that make me feel like less of a woman? Hell, no! I don't understand the intricate details into a man's pride now. We've been married for almost 15 years, and granted I've never seen him deal with a leak after a plumbing job, so maybe it is just that it was a new situation to him, but it still strikes me as very odd.

In the end, the leak is fine. He discovered that the washer that went with one of the gaskets (I think that's what he called it) had tiny threads so that the washer was supposed to be screwed onto the pipe not pushed on.

My bathroom is complete - except for the tub which is a whole different story. (Bathroom is exactly five feet wide and 8 feet long, so I haven't decided how on earth you are supposed to remove the old tub and put a new one into place in such a small area. We're going to save up and leave that to a professional!

No comments: