Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Pressure on students?

For a while now, I have been under the firm belief that some school systems push their students too hard. My son is a straight-A student. He prides himself on A's. So today, I get the mail and there is a letter warning me that my son has missed too much school this year. That the new school policy is that no child should miss more than 6 days in a school year. I'm a little steamed.

For years, the school policy was that no child could go to school if they were throwing up or had a fever. My son has always been inclined towards ear infections, even after his adenoids were removed and tubes were put in. With his ear infections come a fever, and we know if he has a cold that an ear infection will follow. He spent so much time on antibiotics that his body built up a resistance, so the doctors no longer will prescribe antibiotics unless we beg and plead.

So since August, he has missed school twice because he was throwing a fever and throwing up. The third time, he was feverish with an ear infection. I stay home, so it's not a big deal for me to care for him. I will grant that I am benefited by my working from home because it allows me the freedom to keep my kids home. I have never, and will never, send my children to school if they are sick.

His sister is never sick. When she is sick, I have to fight her to keep her home. So it's not like I push the system. I only keep my children home if they fall into the school's "never send your child to school sick"guidelines. Not many other parents do or are able to abide by that same rule, and as a parent whose has had both children come home after sitting at a table where their classmate has thrown up on their books or clothing, I'm thankful that I'm not the parent sending my very sick child to school to infect others.

So anyway, today I get this letter telling me that I am allowing my son to be sick too often. That the new school policy this year is no more than 6 days total or they will be issuing severe warnings and holding meetings to address the absent child. I am infuriated. My judgment is being questioned, and I do think I know if my child is sick or not.

So what it comes down to is now that my child goes to school and if he's sick enough to go home, the school will let me know - OR I have to send him to school with a doctor's note the next day. So I have to pay the co-pay to have my doctor write a note stating that "Yes, Chris was too sick to go to school." I find this absurd.

I think at base, it upsets me because there was no forewarning. This new "school panel" decided this year that they needed to do this. I can understand if Chris was failing, but he's still pulling straight A's. So it's not like missing a few days has caused big issues. His sister usually brings him his homework, and if he is feeling up to it, he'll do his homework in bed or the next morning if he's feeling better. However, there was no warning that the school had changed the policy, and they sent out this brunt letter telling me to call the school because he has been absent too much.

I guess it all comes down to this - Big Brother is even watching our children now. I love the new lesson my children are learning now - if you're sick, too freaking bad. Thanks, Vermont!

No comments: