Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

So we've had our first really good snow storm at my house. The yard is white. My deck needs shoveling-anyone want to come do it?

My daughter finds snow magical. However, I just feel the chill in the air and want to go right back inside.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and there's supposed to be another snow storm. I'm not sure what this means for us now - as we have to do some driving. The bigger issue is that the weathermen are all over the place trying to predict how much snow we are going to get, when it's going to hit, and how long it will last. I have a feeling it's going to be another of those years when they can't make up their minds, so they don't do a forecast until it actually starts happening!

Anyway, have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving. And I'll end with a recipe that we tested out last night. If anyone drinks Sam Adams beer - there are two bottles of their Cranberry Lambic in the mixed box. Now, I like beer but Cranberry Lambic is more like fizzy cranberry juice with a dash of hops. Not very enjoyable. So I'd set aside the bottles to use in cooking. Yesterday, my son (he's 12 and just getting into cooking) asked if he could make something. So I pulled out my trusty cranberry nut bread recipe and made a few alterations. This bread came out very nicely!

SAM ADAMS CRANBERRY LAMBIC NUT BREAD

3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups chopped cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp orange zest
3 eggs
1/3 cup canola oil
12 oz Cranberry Lambic Beer

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the dry ingredients together. (Flour, sugar, & baking powder.) Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix thoroughly.

Pour/spoon the batter into 2 greased loaf pans (or I used a bundt cake pan) and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes (depends on the type of pan used).

No comments: