Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Woodstoves

This winter, my husband and I decided that given the extreme expense of propane, and the fact that our company was dropping all pre-pay plans due to the rising costs, we need to revert to heating our home with the woodstove again. Our woodstove is older and I didn't trust it after fifteen years of non-use. With some money we'd saved towards propane, we purchased a new woodstove.

Now, when we first moved in, the previous owner only heated with woodstove. We never had, so inexperienced as we were, we used it and quickly learned it was hard to keep our house from quickly reaching 80 or 90 degrees. We've learned a lot since then. A book that can be of tremendous help -



Woodstove Cookery does teach you how to cook on the woodstove, but it covers far more than that. I am adamant that come the cold of winter when the woodstove is going, we will have pots of stew or soup simmering on the woodstove all day long. First, it is an efficient way to cook, but also it is like crockpot cooking only better - it uses no electricity.

I'm hoping for a relatively mild winter, but I won't hold my breath. In Vermont, mild isn't usually an option. I've seen January lows topping 30 below at my house before, and I know just how much propane can get sucked up after a week of below zero temperatures. I've had it with the propane and gas industry and think it's time to revert to the olden days with wood heating becoming my main source.

No comments: