Monday, October 15, 2007

Favorite Novels

I read a lot, I mean a lot! Usually, it is not surprising for me to read one or two books per day. While I've never quite tapped into the pacing that Harriet K. claims to be able to read -- in all honesty, I do speed read and don't see how one can read as many books as she claims and still have a life -- I do enjoy reading a book or two after I've polished off my freelance writing assignments and sent them for editing. I usually have a three hour window between the time I finish writing and the time my kids return from school. Then if I'm lucky, I'll read a bit before falling asleep as well.

Over the years, I've read some duds and some real gems. But I find myself always reverting to a few favorites. In fact, two of them I kept after my senior year in high school ended (Sorry Mr. C., but I just didn't have the heart to give them back, but you never hounded me to turn them in either, so I'm thinking deep down you knew.)



George Stewart's EARTH ABIDES is the only sci-fi (though I prefer to title it postapocolyptic) novel I've ever enjoyed. Fans of Stephen King's THE STAND will find subtle common themes between the two. At heart, this is a story of a few people who manage to survive some epidemic and now must repopulate the earth and also figure out a way to survive without electricity and the modern conveniences of life.



Stephen King's THE STAND is similar to EARTH ABIDES. In fact, King admits that he's enjoyed EARTH ABIDES for years. I've read posts from people who think George Stewart's novel is a copy. For that reason, I'll note that Stewart wrote his book decades before Stephen King was an author. THE STAND tends to be a little more creepy, and for those who've seen the miniseries, it can be hard to get Gary Sinise's face out of the mind while reading...



Harper Lee's only novel TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD has to be one of my favorites. It's another book I swiped from high school. I fell in love with Atticus Finch in this novel -- I wish more men would look at others like he does. In fact, there is a blog I frequent, www.freelancewritinggigs.com, in which the author/owner of that blog shows us some of her reader mail throughout the week. Some of the mail is just downright hurtful and there's really no need to send in mail of that nature. I have never understood why people can't argue without namecalling.



Finally, Alice Sebold's THE LOVELY BONES haunted me the day I read it. I picked up that book and stretched out on the back lawn near my kid's swingset. I read it in one sitting and have never cried more during a story. It's been in the process of turning into a motion picture for years and I just hope that Peter Jackson does it justice. Casting an unknown for Susie's role is probably a very good idea. As for the rest of the cast--Susan Sarandon, Rachel Weisz, Ryan Gosling, Stanly Tucci, etc.--I'll just wait and see.

No comments: