Friday, October 12, 2007

Parenting 101: SMARTEN UP

I just read the morning news and this story http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_re_us/student_arsenal_5 truly disturbs me on so many levels. However, I will cover the issue that bothers me the most - the boy's mother.

What the hell is that woman thinking buying her 14 year old an assault rifle? I have a 14 year old. If he EVER asked me for a gun, I'd be locking him up, not purchasing said gun for him. In my own opinion, this woman now needs to have her children removed while she undergoes parenting 101. Had the boy gone through with his plans, I would hope she'd be charged as an accomplice and thank God the other student and his father called police and that police took it seriously.

Now, I understand bullying and know it can make a student feel helpless. I've been there. Here's a tip to those in that situation. The law is on your side. Instead of letting the bully push you to the point that you feel ending the lives of dozens is acceptable (and hopefully you have the brains to realize this is not okay), talk to your teachers--a teacher you trust. If that fails, slap the bully and his/her parents and the school with a lawsuit, include the school for not working harder to prevent it because schools are supposed to have bullying policies in place. I'm not one for suing over every little matter, but you know what if a lawsuit is what it takes to prevent these high school shootings from occuring, then it's time to try something a little more radical. I can guarantee that a school slapped with a bullying lawsuit, especially if it makes the news, is going to work harder at putting a stop to all bullying in the future.

No comments: