Sunday, October 14, 2007

Recent Movies Worth Viewing

It's been pretty dreary and rainy in Vermont for the past few days. While I've been working on my freelance writing projects, and actually caught up, I've also been reading. As yesterday was a family day though, weekends are always family days, it was due time to sit down and do some movie watching. I've always had my favorites and have found some pretty good ones recently. As it is still dull outside, I figured it's a good time to talk about them.

Pleasantville (New Line Platinum Series)

First up is a movie that I've watched and re-watched for years--PLEASANTVILLE. The movie is a number of years old now, but I still watch it and think the producer/writer/director team had a stroke of brilliance. Reese Witherspoon (Legally Blonde) is one of those actresses who I really enjoy--she adapts nicely to the roles she plays. Pleasantville also stars Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) The pair play a brother and sister duo who get sucked into a 1950's television show and have to figure out how to get out. The problem is that if they behave more modernly, the show begins to colorize. The scene where Joan Allen learns how to pleasure herself is a riot!

Big Daddy


We also watched Adam Sandler's BIG DADDY again yesterday. It's been years since we've seen this movie, but our daughter happens to have an Adam Sandler lookalike for her teacher this year. He's a great guy and mixes schoolwork with lines from some of the movies, so that students who answer the question and name the movie correctly win prizes. She loves going to school every day, and this was on of the only movies she'd not seen yet. (Other than Punch Drunk Love, which I don't think was that good a movie anyway.) Any parent with tweens who are hooked on the Disney show "Suite Life of Zach and Cody" will be interested to know that the Sprouse twins happened to play the little boy in BIG DADDY.

Knocked Up - Unrated (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)

KNOCKED UP is a newer movie, but I have to say I've already seen it twice. The movie has this knack for making me laugh and even cry a little towards the ending. What impresses me the most is that they didn't hold back during the birth scene. I happen to know two teenagers, both about to become parents far before I think they are ready, but there is that part of me that thought had they seen this birth scene it might have scared them from having sex. Birth isn't necessarily pretty, but it is an amazing experience, and those in KNOCKED UP did a great job with this scene.

My Fair Lady

MY FAIR LADY is a classic musical. Now some may be groaning now, but for anyone who enjoys a romance, MY FAIR LADY is an exceptional movie, yet the ending still ticks me off. I'd like the chance to go back and rewrite the ending! Audrey Hepburn is a timeless actress, so anyone who enjoys musicals must give it a shot.


These are only a few of my favorites. Today we'll be watching movies I've not seen yet - Adam Sandler's Reign Over Me. Hopefully, it will be a good one. Meanwhile, I have to figure out what's for dinner. With a high temperature of 45 and rain predicted for the day, I'm thinking it might be time to bring out the crockpot for a stew.

No comments: