Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gas Prices, Continued.

$3.19 a gallon compared to $2.519 a gallon two days ago. This is insane. I would like to see actual statistics that shows the U.S. is severely low on fuel and that the gas companies and government aren't just using the effects of the hurricane to gain more money. I keep hearing that there is a shortage now because refineries were affected, but I still haven't seen anything statistical.

What scares me most is that the gas stations and the news are saying that the price will top $4 a gallon in the Northeast before there is any relief.

My husband and two of his co-workers are looking into setting up a carpool, even if it is only the three of them. We're all for car pooling anyway, but my husband's hours (7 to 3 with no room for moving a schedule) have made it harder in the past. This time, it's worth it for me to drive my husband 7 miles north so that he can then head south. 7 miles is much better than 17 miles.

I know I've heard people having to choose between gas or groceries, and without a job groceries are more of an issue, so they are skipping groceries to pay for gas. Others are in a panic over fuel prices when winter comes. I now feel much better that we tapped into our home equity line of credit to pay for a full year of propane - it locked us in at a$1.89 rate. But my parent's are paying over $4.00 a gallon for their propane - when is this going to end????

4 comments:

Roundtable Review Staff said...

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Roundtable Review Staff said...

So after checking where we get our oil in the U.S., I went in to see how much oil we export from the U.S... That's what bothers me most. These figures are in U.S. dollars taken from www.export.gov

So I guess my question is (and if I am understanding the chart correctly - if the prices have been climbing, why has the amount we ship out increasing? Why not keep more in the U.S?

27--MINERAL FUEL, OIL ETC.;

1997- 12,659,700

1998 - 10,108,212

1999- 9,966,463

2000- 13,384,263

2001 - 12,898,480

2002 - 11,719,223

2003 - 14,079,480

2004 - 18,954,856

Anonymous said...

American people are crazy... send Bush to his ******* place or you will continue be in trouble...

Roundtable Review Staff said...

I must say it's a little unfair to say that American's are crazy. Not all of us voted for Bush...