Friday, September 09, 2005

The HUMANE???? Society

I guess my faith in mankind has been shattered partially today. As I'd stated in a post a few days ago, we found ourselves in the possession of a stray cat last Saturday morning. She's a good cat, but she HATES, and will attack to kill, other cats and dogs. So my own cats are not thriving, nor is my dog. All three have taken to hiding under beds in an effort to avoid the new cat. Despite shelling out $200 to pay for the stray's vet care, my husband and I decided she'd be happier in a home without other animals. It has to be more humane than our keeping her in a dog kennel all night - she yowls like crazy and it's been three nights since I've slept.

So today, we took her to the "Humane" Society who told us flat out that since we were from a town that didn't pay their "membership" fee, they refuse to take in an animal. It didn't matter that I just spent $200 on vaccinations, meds, etc. They told us to leave with the cat and not to bother coming back because they won't take her and that our local animal control officer only deals with dogs, so he refused to take her as well. At this point, I was ticked off. I understand the Humane Society's issue. However, since I walked in with meds, proof of vaccines, vet records from our visit, food and a cat crate, all they really needed to do is supply her with water and care until she is adopted out. Instead, the person agreed that our options are to continue caring for her or stop feeding her and hope she goes away. This cat was down to 6.5 pounds and not in good health, I'm furious that the humane society's stance is that I just should have let her starve to death. That's absurd and not very HUMANE.

After talking to our vet, he said our best option is to try to give her away through the local paper - but that odds are we will not get any takers. The only other option is to keep her outside year round and hope she can take a Vermont winter. At this point, I'm almost thinking it's more humane then to have her put to sleep. 40 degree below windchills are not anything I would force an animal to try to survive.

1 comment:

Roundtable Review Staff said...

I was complaining about our local humane society over the weekend and one of my neighbors shared his story...

Last spring, he was driving home from work and saw a car hit a kitten. That car continued on, so he stopped and immediately knew the kitten's hip was broken. He put the kitten in a box and took it to the Inhumane Society where they refused to take the kitten unless he gave them a large cash donation. Money he didn't have, so he had to fight more. Finally, they agreed to take it, only after out of desperation he suggested that he take the howling kitten out into the parking lot and put it out of its misery.

It's sad that the Humane Society seems to have lost its main focus--that of saving animals in need.