Tuesday, July 26, 2005

TV shows

For some reason, Fox network has this huge issue with coming out with a decent series and then pulling the plug on it.

The first time this happened -- Dark Angel -- my husband and I were totally hooked. The cliffhanger ending had us anxiously awaiting the Fall return for the show, and then come summer they announced they were canceling the show completely and would not finish the cliffhanger they left us with.

Then came another show, John Doe. I was so totally hooked on John Doe. Problem was they had the show on a Friday night. Same issue as with Dark Angel, if I remember correctly. No one is home, usually, on a Friday night. So instead of moving the show to a different time slot and trying its fate in other slots, they cancel it. Will we ever find out who John Doe really was? Why was his supposed "buddy" the man who was trying to kill him? The world will never know and Fox ticked me off once again.

Finally, this season it is a new sleeper called The Inside. Here we spend an hour with an FBI team, but one of them has this special "sense" if you want to call it that. A kidnapping from her own past gives her a special intuition into cases. Again, I'm hooked, so I hear they are canceling that one too.

So I have a suggestion for Fox. You obviously seemed hooked on state Simpsons episodes (sorry but they've been there and done that for so long that the ideas are getting pretty stale to me) and then really stupid reality shows. Do I really care who can dance? No. Do I want to watch some unstable person swap families? Again, no.

Stop with the reality shows and give some of your better shows a fighting chance. So it's not doing great on one night, try another. If your child was doing great at gym and sucking at algebra would you kick him out the house? Of course not, you'd try something different, a more unique approach to help him make a success of himself! The same should go to your shows. Try a couple other time slots, then if it is still a failure remove it.

No comments: