Sunday, May 21, 2006

Rain, rain go away...

Don't come back for a few months.

We've had too many days of straight rain. Rivers are flooded. Grounds are sopping wet. Plants are drowning. My husband and I were married 15 years ago. I've been waiting all spring to sit outside and smell the lilacs when they bloomed. So now they are finally open and the trees are sagging to the ground because the water has weighed down the flowers.

So yesterday morning, the dreaded water in the basement occured. I knew it was coming. I had to--we've had nothing but rain for almost three weeks. Apparently, we've had more rain than Seattle. I now know I could NEVER live in Seattle.

So if anyone wants to put in a pipeline from my basement to the south where they are dealing with a drought. I will happily let you hook the pipeline up to my sump pump. If you can handle five gallons every couple of minutes or so, the water is ALL yours!

1 comment:

Roundtable Review Staff said...

Blah. I still don't want it. I feel better though, while I have water coming in on three walls, I have neighbors who are inches deep in it. Or I could be my neighbor--years ago my former brainy neighbor George had a sump pump installed and had it piped directly into his septic tank. When you are pumping over 5 gallons per minute, that's a lot for a septic system to handle on top of normal every day use. We'd asked a septic place who told us DO NOT do that - and we listened. George wanted things nice and pretty with no sump pump hose sticking out the side of a house or window, so he went for the bad route and the new homeowner's really worry but don't have the money to change the system around now.