Monday, May 22, 2006

Okay, reality check.

I was cleaning things out because of the water in the basement. Had to move our homebrew to higher ground... actually, after seeing how much beer we have stocked up in the basement, I realize my next party needs to be a homebrew party just to drink some of it up... I can't drink as much as is stocked down there, but anyway...

I came across a Town Meeting Guide from 1998 - so it would have covered the year 1997. I am so SHOCKED at the differences between teachers' salaries then and now. Our Town Guide lists the current salaries for the public to see. These are base salaries and don't accomodate the paid vacation and benefits. So I grabbed the guide we got in March and did some comparing. One of the 3rd grade teachers went from 34k to 48k in this 8 year span. A special ed teacher went from 28k to 52k. The Middle school principal went from 52k to 78k. One of the Kindergarten teachers went from 29.5k to 57k. I find these pay raises absurd. I have no issues with slight pay raises, but it seems to me that these increases are far over the "minimal" 5% pay raises that we've been voting on. They also are not in accordance with the average person's pay raise.

No comments: