Thursday, May 04, 2006

Because one post is not enough...

I graduated from high school just about eighteen years ago. I still remember bumping into one of my favorite teachers after I took a job in mortgage banking -- her words to me were "Just remember that life isn't always fair and sometimes you have to just accept that things do not go your way."

Okay, so it's time to bring those words to the surface now. In today's economic times, I do not feel it is unfair for teachers to be paying 10% for their health insurance, nor do I think 15% a few years down the road is absurd to ask. Sure it's a good chunk of money, but come on, who doesn't pay that much in most cases??? I know some people who are now paying $50 co-pays and paying 25% and they are thankful to at least have health insurance.

So to that teacher who gave me that advice, I am shocked and disheartened that the teachers giving us advice such as this are throwing a hissy fit and striking because they feel more than 10% for health insurance is too much to ask. I'm sorry that I held you in such high esteem back then. You behavior now disgusts me. Get over yourselves.

I listened to the whole "We tried to negotiate at the last minute but the school board wouldn't accept our proposal." Why would that be? I'll let you know, because you were still planning on fighting, you were just going to take two years to do your battle.

The students are going to pay now. For ever moment you are on strike, the kids will suffer. The high schoolers will understand that your unwillingness to bend and at least meet the taxpayers halfway are going unnoticed.

No comments: