Monday, May 01, 2006

NASCAR

I never was into Nascar until last year. Then while flipping channels one day, my husband and I came across a Nascar Poker Championship. I LOVE Texas Hold'Em. I'm a Hold'Em addict. So we watched the championship not knowing who the players really were. So I watched and soon found myself entertained by the antics of Ryan Newman and Elliot Sadler. My husband was amused by Tony Stewart, so from that point on we started watching portions of the races. Now we tend to watch the majority of the races. He roots Tony Stewart on and I root for Ryan and Elliot, though preference usually goes to Ryan. (Thanks to my hubby's front office for supplying me with a world of Alltel goods thanks to their new wire contract!)

One thing amazes me. People can watch for the crashes or whatever draws them into the world of Nascar. Jimmie Johnson - don't like him - I went to school with a Jimmie Johnson that lived here for a couple years in middle and high school and then he moved south. Though I'm sure that this is not the same person, I can't stand him on name alone. And then his behavior on the track fits well with the Jimmie Johnson I knew, so it's a double whammy for him. Everyone's little poster boy - Dale Earnhardt Jr. Don't like him either.

The Busch brothers drive me nuts.

The drumroll for most obnoxious has to go to Jeff Gordon.

I realize those guys have their fan bases, but you won't hear anything in praise of them from me.

So, it comes down to why I have begun watching Nascar. Those guys are amazing drivers. They drive in high speed traffic jams that would have me wetting myself, yet if a crash occurs they magically happen to steer around the crashed cars in my cases. Their skill is mesmerizing. I think I'd be fine with Ryan or Elliot behind the wheel. I'll happily put myself in their hands!

1 comment:

Roundtable Review Staff said...

Ugh. See this is why I shouldn't do work when it is nice and sunny outside. I rush things along and then don't bother reading them over, and it figures you'd be lurking in your grammatically correct corner. ;-)

And what - no comments about my wanting to be in Ryan's hands????