Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hidden Gifts Of The Introverted Child

A month or so ago, I had the opportunity to review a book about introverted children. http://www.roundtablereviews.com/roundtable/Archives/laneymartiolsen82906.htm

Now this book really made an impression as I tend to be introverted, and I've noticed both of my children are the same way. One of my sticking points in school was the teacher who always insisted on calling on the shyer children--the ones who wouldn't make eye contact or raise their hand. That was me!

In this book it suggests that forcing an introverted child to answer a question before they have had time to think an answer through is actually damaging to their self-esteem. I would again agree. Mr. Carney, my 8th grade history teacher, did this to me. I will never forget the question, "In the 1970s, the US came up with stricter regulations allowing the entry of these people into our country?" History was never my subject. He called on me and I said the first thing that came to my head, "aliens". Meaning illegal immigrants. The class and Mr. Carney spent a good 15 minutes laughing hysterically over my answer. Carney admitted he knew what I was saying, but he still had images of the spacemen in his head. Meanwhile, I was humiliated and it reinforced my thoughts that calling on students who do not want to be called on is rather destructive.

This leads me to a question for teachers. Why can't you lead a class without calling on others in a sneak attack mode? The night before, announce to all the students that tomorrow's discussion will be on whatever subject. Everyone will be expected to give their opinion on ... and that they will be taking turns offering their thoughts. This gives the introverted kids a night to prepare their arguments. It takes some of the stress off the sneak attack that many teachers currently use.

My son's science teacher last night said my son's biggest thing is that he doesn't always raise his hand to volunteer an answer. SO WHAT. He is pulling straight A's so they know the material is being learned. Try a different approach and you may find he jumps right in - IF he's had time to plan things out.