Thursday, October 05, 2006

Books and food

I was discussing the link between books and food with another reviewer. Oddly enough, my daughter came home that same day and was looking over my shoulder at emails. She saw that and said, "Everyone knows you read a book with tea and biscuits."

That led me to wonder, if my ten year old knows it, is it something that she picked up because my mom is British or is it just as common here in the U.S. So I asked her why she said that. Her response was that in all the television shows she sees where a character is having tea, there is always a plate of cookies. (Cookies are biscuits in England). This led me to believe that the practice may be just as common over here.

I'm often disturbed by the lack of true coffeehouses/Used book stores in this area. We can go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and have a cup of coffee and a tart or something similar while you read, but I want a place like I've seen in smaller English towns where the coffee shop has racks of used books or is very close to a used book store and they invite you with comfy chairs to come sit down and read while you enjoy your coffee.

Some day that is my dream. I'm going to open up a small cafe type establishment with coffee served a special manner that I'm not posting with book shelves full of used books. Kind of a home away from home where you know the service will be friendly and the treats are always exquisite.

No comments: