Friday, October 06, 2006

Delivery people...

I get shipments almost daily. I also happen to have this odd driver for one of the large overnight services who yesterday truly crossed the boundaries. So while this isn't book related, per se, I hope some publishers out there who read this might begin to think carefully about whom they choose.

The company in question is Fedex. And I do have complaints in with the company and hope they will be dealing with the matter immediately, they said they'd contact me as soon as they'd discussed the situation... haven't heard a word, yet.

Anyway, there are three drivers in this area. Two are really nice, the other is also really nice, but he's a letch. Flat out, he is a sick pervert who should NOT be delivering packages to women.

When he first took the route, he would tell me how he had close ties to the local courthouse because of his former military career in which he was pretty high up. But he'd retired and wanted a part-time job with flexibility that allowed him to be out and about, Fedex fit his needs.

A few months later, he told me how he was a major league umpire. He then proceeded to tell me that he'd been on the field during the Curt Schilling bloody sock game, that I could check out - we have that game on DVD. It was no surprise, he wasn't there, so my husband and I started to realize that this guy had an issue. Later he told me that he and another driver were always fighting over who got to come see me. It was odd again, but I still figured it was all him bragging over silly things.

The end of August, my hubby had the first full week of school off. The Fed Ex guy came and didn't see Dave putting in a new kitchen light. He made a comment that sounded suggestive about quickies but I wasn't sure if I just was taking it wrong or hearing it wrong, when Dave came out and made it known he was home, the FedEx guy took off faster than I've ever seen him move. That's when I realized that maybe it wasn't all must my making something more of it. Dave made a comment back that he didn't want to see this guy on our route anymore and that he'd be watching.

A full month went by and never saw the Fed Ex guy again. So I figured it was over. Until yesterday, he came right up and started asking how I'd been. I tried to blow him off by saying I was busy and had to get back inside. His response, "Turn around and I'll show you busy honey." I am 99.9% certain that there is no other way that that statement could be taken. It was suggestive. Thankfully, Dave is home for his birthday and he immediately contacted Fedex and told them that this guy is just not mentally stable and shouldn't be driving a route where women are home alone working. He also suggested going outside with a bat, but I told him as sweet as his wanting to defend me is - that's not the solution.

I'm hoping Fedex takes immediate action and either fires or at least puts this guy on a route where he has to enter fully staffed businesses. He's certainly not fit to be delivering to any establishment where a woman is by herself. In the meantime, I'll be locking my doors all day again and making sure that I have my 9-iron next to the door just in case. Again, the 9 iron isn't a great answer, but it's that or a really mean dog... with kids I don't like the dog aspect. Though I'm truly starting to think otherwise.

No comments: