Thursday, March 16, 2006

School Letter, Part 2

So, I realize I never shared the outcome of the school's letter to me warning me that my son had missed too much school and that they were pushing for only 6 days off per year. I can be a very shy person at times, but come after my kids and I become the most evil she-bear you've ever encountered.

I started my quest by talking to a lawyer for the VT State Dept. of Education to find out exactly what the laws are in the state. He seemed to be enjoying himself as he read statutes. Basically, there are two applicable laws when it comes to a student being absent. 1. Any child absent for more than 10 days in a row must have a written note from a doctor and the school superintendent. So #1 did not cover my son being absent on and off at 9 times over the entire school year so far.

#2 - No child may be absent more than 21 days per school year without being considered delinquent. Again doesn't fit my son, so the lawyer told me to have fun going to battle.

I then decided to ask an expert pediatrician who works for our local CBS station. He gave me one piece of advice - find out what medical expert was consulted when this policy was enacted.

So I called the school and waited, and waited.... Nothing. So I sent a very snotty email. The next morning I got a call. So I let him speak and basically he covered his behind by saying the letter was all a mistake and never should have been sent and that I should throw it out and ignore it.

Then he proceeded to tell me that the only reason they've been taking a hard line this year is because the area high schools all have stricter policies. He proceeded to say that local high schools - BFA, Milton, Rice, Essex, and Colchester all give students 3 days off per semester and anything over those 3 days per semester, excused or unexcused, lead to automatic failure of the class. This sounded absurd to me. So after he hung up, I did some checking.

The correct policy is 7 days off per TRI-mester. Equaling the 21 day deliquent law. So now I've been lied to again...

It makes me wonder. Do I really want my child being taught by a man who first never stops to think that a parent has the intelligence to verify what he or she has been told? And two, a teacher who will LIE to a parent!!! I've lost all respect for this teacher, and hope he gets his facts straight before coming after my son for attendance issues.

In the end, I have a son who is asking to skip a grade. I know he can handle it, but I think it is pathetic that a 12 year old has now seen that some grown-ups just don't tell the truth.

No comments: