Sunday, October 09, 2005

Wallace & Grommit

Due to the rainy, suddenly much cooler, weather, my husband and I decided to go catch the matinee for Wallace & Grommit. I know the movie is rated G, so I expected plenty of other families to be there. What surprised me was the parents of kids no more than two years old who felt their child was ready for the movies. The little girl in front of us was about two years old and she was potty trained supposedly, but she ended up wetting her pants and crying uncontrollably because daddy got very upset. My feelings are that he NEVER should have brought her in the first place. There were other children who were screaming/crying because in essence the new W&G movie is a little scary. Someone called it "a horror movie for vegetarians" that's kind of accurate.

First, the movie should have a PG rating in my opinion. There are sexual innuendos, funny to older kids and adults, but lost to little ones. (At one point Helena Bonham Carter's character is stood behind a pair of canteloupes and she asks Wallace if he'd like to touch her melons. Another scene has a naked Wallace covering himself with a box that says "Nuts may be inside.")
This movie does contain typical Wallace & Grommit humor - everyone should expect it - so parents who were upset with the semi-violent scenes (a were-rabbit biting and "killing" veggies, shooting/airplane fight with Grommit) and such should have expected it. Wallace and Grommit are British and British humor is included. If you are unfamiliar with the characters, perhaps you should check them out a little more first before bringing your 2 - 4 year olds.

I liked the movie. Still isn't better than The Wrong Trousers, I don't think, but it is enjoyable.

No comments: