Monday, October 24, 2005

Snow???

So every year I have this one goal, this year I am sticking to it more than ever. My goal is to not turn my furnace on until at least November 1st. So at this point, I have one more week. With the price of propane at all-time highs, I really want to hold out as long as possible!!

So the weatherman today announces that because of Hurricane Wilma, we are about to get nailed with the remnants of this storm forming a "snowicane." His phrase - not mine. I'm not very happy. Snow to me means cold temperatures and I'm just not ready for either. I realize some of you never see snow, but I've had my fill of it. Snow means drivers "forget" how to drive and they attempt to drive the speed limit while snow builds up. Vermonters can be great snowy road drivers, but the more people that move from non-snowy states, the crazier winter driving becomes. Especially when more and more SUVs are on the roads and some people have this tendency to think that 4wd makes you invincible in the snow - trust me it's NOT true.

I've heard that the Farmer's Almanac says we are in for one of the snowiest winters in a long time, but I really, really am not looking forward to it at all. I'd like to hope they are all wrong! However, if they are, I have this plea to those driving on Vermont roads this winter. Road conditions can change in a heartbeat around here, so if it's snowing - slow down, allow extra time to get to your destination, and remember you are NOT the only one on the road. You have to be twice as alert as usual.

No comments: