Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The joy of snow...

I watched a little girl sit out in the snow/rain mix this morning and have this absolutely wonderful time making "slush" angels (she kept calling them snow angels, but it really was more slush than snow), snow/slush men, creating Heffalump tracks, and just in general she was having more fun than I've seen any child have in a long time. She came in with the adorable rosy red cheeks that kids get after they've been playing in the cold. Her exposed hair was dripping wet... and all I could think the whole time was how much I loathe snow. Snow means cold, damp, and generally miserable conditions.

So it makes me wonder, I used to be that rosy cheeked kid playing in the snow - trying to stand up in my sled and make it all the way down the hill without falling flat on my behind. (Snowboards... there's something I should have invented since that's what we were really doing...)

My son hates snow now, he's like his mom and snow means cold- but I remember his wanting to be out in it all rosy cheeked. My daughter still loves snow and was up eating breakfast at 4:45 this morning hoping that they'd have a snow day so that she could stay home and play in it. No such luck, though I've heard the high schoolers are out early because the power went out. But I wonder if everyone loses the magic of a first snowfall or if it is just those of us who have lived a lifetime of cold winters and never-long-enough summers?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can only guess that you are talking about Cassidy doing the slush angels. That's all she had wanted to do since last night when it started to snow/rain. If only we could all have such simple lives.....