Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Horror Movies

I know this is a semi-pointless topic, but can't Hollywood get it right? I am a horror movie addict; and that said, I watch them for their comedic value. Sorry, but The Exorcist was the only horror movie to truly scare me and even then it was more because of the music than it was the "special effects."

So last week I put The Boogeyman at the top of my list for Netflix. It arrived and we watched it over the weekend. Not one of Hollywood's best, but it was watchable. Then I reached the ending. What on EARTH were they thinking? I think the ending to that movie is now top of my dumb ending list. I don't want to spoil it for those planning to watch the movie, so I won't say what happens. It wasn't until I watched the "alternate ending" that I realized the writer did have a clue, for some reason they just opted against the ending that would have been most reasonable.

So another horror movie has been added to my "Been there, done that" list and once again, Hollywood has failed to truly scare me out of my pants. I throw the gauntlet out - has anyone seen a movie that truly raises the fear factor?

2 comments:

wendallpauls said...

I have never been much of a "horror movie buff" (my sister was, culling the same comedic value out of them) but I will go for an honestly frightening flick. Like the recent "Texas Chainsaw" thing -- I would have gone to see that film; but I have no desire to see people dismembered and chopped up like they were lost in some sadistic mad chef's kitchen. Why would ANYONE care to see that? Give me an Alfred Hitchcock, who knew how to genuinely frighten without resorting to the superficial gross-out factor.

When "Sleepy Hollow" came out a few years back, I was deeply disappointed in the innumerable people there who lost their heads. It lost something for me. The story was suddenly circumvented by the macabre sense of what the villain was doing.

Roundtable Review Staff said...

I've seen both Texas Chainsaw movies. They were a riot, packed full of "heroine runs from evil monster in high heels" moments. Sorry but if I were being chased, my heels would be the very first thing to go and they'd be directed at the evil monster's head.