Monday, April 10, 2006

Today's News

I have a couple of issues that I've heard on the news...

First, what was up with Andy Rooney's segment last night. Why on earth did CBS cut him off so abruptly? I was cheering him one (he was discussing elementary school/middle school testing thanks to No Child Left Behind) and all the sudden it went to ads right in the middle of his sentence and they played ads for five minutes. When they returned credits were rolling.

Here we have the NECAP tests. My son and daughter's scores just returned. Now a couple of weeks ago, we went to parent/teacher conferences and were told that my daughter is having problems with reading comprehension. This really surprised me as she reads all the time at home and seems more than capable of retelling me the key parts. So I looked over her NECAP scores for reading comprehension. She got 11 right out of 13. That means she's having problems??? I find that disturbing. What kind of pressure are these kids under if two wrong equates to having difficulties?

I've had my fill of NECAP tests and want to see the education system overhauled. Children doing well in school get the money - the kids struggling find themselves in schools being cut off from federal funding because the kids can't pass these ludicrous tests. Oh, please. It comes down to the whole rich get richer principle that seems to dominate the world. Take the money from those who need it the most and give it to those who don't necessarily need it.

Another news story (this morning) truly ticked me off. A thirty-seven year old man was found guilty of molesting a 15 year old girl. It turns out this fifteen year old had the molester's baby and now he is suing for custodial rights. The fact that this is tying up the court system is absurd. He admits he molested her, though he says he thought it was consensual and he thinks he should get to see this baby. No freaking way!

No comments: