Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Music Industry

Okay, so it ticked you off that people were downloading. As someone who has over 1000 cds, albums, cassettes and 45's, I think you should stop hosing the public. I've supported your industry for years. I am, however, furious over your latest action and think it's time the public fights back.

For years, greatest hits albums added one or two new tracks ensuring that fans would wind up buying the greatest hits regardless of the fact that it was those one or two new tracks that made the album worth purchasing. That always steamed me, but I accepted it.

However, the new trick they are using should be illegal. I like Shakira's music. So when Oral Fixations Vol. 2 came out, I bought it the same day of the release. Now her new song - Hips Don't Lie - just came out, but it isn't on Oral Fixations Vol. 2. At least, not on the version they released a number of months ago. No, they have recut the album, added two tracks and are expecting those who have already bought it to go out and buy it again. This is absurd. Why not offer a huge discount/trade-in to those who bought it when it first came out.

Shakira is not the only artist whose record company is pulling this trick. Trisha Yearwood's record label has pulled the same trick. Is this a new trend? Probably. It's the way for the music industry to now punish fans. Am I going to buy the new Shakira album? Hell no. I'll find a way to get the additional two songs, and meanwhile, I am now boycotting Epic. Hopefully, other fans will follow suit.

No comments: