Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Parenting 101

Okay, I feel the need to point this out. I would HOPE that the majority of parents out there have a clue, but I'm starting to learn that not everyone has the common sense one would think they inherited at birth.

If you have two children - one 14 and one 17 who have proven themselves to be very unreliable via drug use, poor friend/boyfriend/girlfriend options, episodes with huffing that come close to a terminating a life, etc., don't think these same kids will be PERFECTLY fine without adult supervision while you go off to Italy for a week.

I'm sorry but these responsible children have been having what appear to be mass orgy sleepovers. The 14 year old's 21 year old girlfriend moved in without hours of your departure. The 17 year old's drug dealing boyfriend moved in the next day. There have also been two other cars there all night - who knows who they are.

The banging on my door last night at 11ish proves that these irresponsible idiots need supervision all the time. I didn't catch them this time, but when I do I will call police and press charges if necessary. You may not care what your children do, but I will not have them harassing my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, I thought I had annoying neighbors! All they did is knock my mailbox over--apparently they can't see in the fog even though the mailbox has been there for 20 years!

Roundtable Review Staff said...

You see J. We live in one of the hottest towns in Franklin County, however we don't have a freaking police force worth mentioning. We get a sheriff three half days a week and most of the time when he's supposed to be here, I've never seen him. I've called police on them, they are also under the SRS's supposedly watchful eye, but it means nothing. (Back in the fall the said 14 year old son had appendicitis and I knew it and informed his mom that it wasn't a simple stomach virus - she ignored my advice and his appendix ruptured. I took him to the ER because she didn't and SRS was notified at that point.) Basically we're told until something BIG happens the authority's hand are tied. We've talked about moving, but then my husband says us being forced to move is really sad - he loves this piece of land.

Here is my point though - what is WRONG with the parents in question. The mother was a teen when she had her first, so I think she never really learned better, not that that is an excuse. In her world, her five-year-old is her chance to fix past mistakes and she virtually ignores her other children. It is the "stepfather" in question that really bums me out. He's a sweetheart, but he seems to lack the balls to do anything about the situation. They think as soon as the teens are gone that all will be well, but they haven't realized that their 5 year old is sucking up everything she sees and hears. I'd like to think she'll be okay, but right now I think what she sees and hears is really going to impact her behavoir down the road.

But you know what... today's goal is to bring out some polka music and blast it on the front deck all day. I have an Oktoberfest CD left from one of our parties, so I figure I'll drive them away for today and since all was quiet last night, I have a feeling that the parents must be on their way back. Then I will happily inform them that they made a HUGE mistake, yet again.