Friday, December 08, 2006

Love, Magic, & Mudpies

Here is a parenting guide that I will happily put my faith in. Why? The author, Dr. Bernie Siegel, is as laid back as they come. He throws away traditional parenting and suggests having fun! He's the first to admit his own parenting faults and says no parent is perfect! It's about time.



Dr. Siegel won me over after pointing out one small fact. How many of you have taken a day off of work because you were tired of it all? We've all done it. There have been times I have stayed in PJ's all day and ignored the computer. I call them "Mental Health Days", Dr. Siegel refers to them as "health days." He also states that he gave his children five health days per semester.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone else doing this. I've been known to let my son take a "mental health" day from time to time. This year he has been adverse to doing so. The school changed the policy last year and more than 3 days of missed school meant a child was sent home with a letter discussing delinquency. After seven days off, a meeting was held with the advisory board. They did it to cut delinquency, in the end they've scared kids into going to school sick.

I'm ticked off about it and have not let the brainchild behind this new policy rest since.

I'm going to agree with Dr. Siegel. Kids are being given federally mandated tests earlier than ever. They are being pushed in school beyond reasonable demands. Kindergarteners are coming home with an hour's worth of homework some days. Some areas require kindergarteners to give their first oral report (I know ours does). Studies show that kids are under more stress than ever, so if they ask for a mental health day and their grades are fine, why not give it to them? You know if you were pressured at work and tired of it all, you'd take a personal day!

No comments: