Thursday, December 07, 2006

Avoid this one!

With Christmas coming, I know many people are out there hunting for unique gifts. I don't care who you are purchasing a gift for, avoid this product:

http://www.epinions.com/content_217832525444


I'm sure you've seen the automatic shower cleaner advertised on TV. The man is brushing his teeth and finds a dozen maids in his tub. I love gadgets, so as soon as I had a $5 off coupon, I ran out and bought one.

At first, I was pretty amazed. It seemed to keep stains down. My unit dripped after using it, though, so I would have to go in and wipe up the drips from time to time. If any of us were taking a bath, it would start dripping and annoying the hell out of whoever happened to be in the tub. Not to mention, I wasn't sure the cleaner is safe enough to be dripping onto the feet during a shower, especially with little ones.

Anyway, while my friend was up, we started noticing that where the cleaning system was dripping, the chrome finish on the tub spout was slowly dissolving. I immediately threw the system away. If it can eat off the chrome finish, I can only imagine what it does to other surfaces.

Here is what they say:

Is Scrubbing Bubbles® Automatic Shower Cleaner safe to use on most shower/tub surfaces?

Yes. Scrubbing Bubbles® Automatic Shower Cleaner can be used in most standard showers, including fiberglass, acrylic, and plastic shower stalls and shower/tub enclosures. Scrubbing Bubbles® Automatic Shower Cleaner is also safe for use on plastic and synthetic shower curtains. Over time, it may lighten natural fabrics such as cotton. Do not use Scrubbing Bubbles® Automatic Shower Cleaner in showers with brass fixtures, natural marble, or finished wood surfaces. Rinse surfaces well if the cleaner is accidentally sprayed on these surfaces.

Now, I don't have brass fixtures, so I figured I was fine. BIG mistake. I now have to put in new fixtures. My shower curtain (the heavy-duty hotel type) is also starting to dissolve.

Trust me, this product is not worth it - run far, far away!

No comments: