Friday, December 01, 2006

Television & Books

For years, I read Kathy Reich's Temperence Brennan series religiously. I loved this series and found myself addicted from the start. Temperence Brennan is a forensic anthropologist who splits her time between North Carolina and Montreal (a city about 1 1/2 hours north of me that I can't say I enjoy because every Montrealan I've encountered has been snotty and rude to tourists.)

Last year, I started watching Bones. Bones is the television series based on Temperence "Bones". At first, I disliked it. Bones was much younger, the romantic side of Bones was gone, and she was based in D.C. That made the show seem totally wrong.

As time has passed, however, I tried reading a book and found myself truly disliking it. I've grown to prefer the show over the books. It leads me to wonder - are authors doing themselves a disservice by crossing over. Why not create an entirely new character with new names and pitch that to television instead?

Max Collins seems to have the knack - but he goes the opposite way. He takes a show and then writes a book about that show. These television show based book series have never disappointed me.

No comments: