Monday, July 31, 2006

Kudos

If you read my blog ever, you'll have seen that my children's pool fell victim to some ATV riders. Anyway, there was an article in the local paper a few days later regarding some ATV trails that are being shot down by one of the state agencies. So I fired off a letter to the editor about this...

Would an ATV trail really be that bad?I have to say that the NRPC is wrong. I have no tolerance for ATVs in most cases, but I would much rather have ATV riders on a trail than where they currently ride - my yard. We awoke Wednesday morning to ATV tracks across our yard, and one of the ATVs had run over my children's 10 foot by 6 foot pool, destroying it. Police say that there is little that they can do to prevent these wee hour of the morning ATV activities because there is only so much of a police force to go around throughout Franklin county. Perhaps if ATV users had somewhere to actually go, they'd get off of other people's yards. In the meantime, if anyone has a pool to donate, I'm sure my children would appreciate it. - Georgia, VT - July 23, 2006

I tried to remain civil. And I've been told I didn't sound as witchy as I could have been. So I guess I kept the civil tone throughout. I have an update to this story now!

The local ATV Assocation (the North Country ATV Association) contacted me after seeing my letter. Not only did they find a replacement pool (not an easy feat, I'd gone to four stores and couldn't find a pool that was the same size), but they also went out back and talked to the kid we feel is responsible. His ATV tracks are still visible, they saw them and said it looks like the kid steered for the pool. They warned him that there was going to be more patrolling and ticketing by not only the police, but also by fish and game wardens who now have the authority. They suggested he join their association and get out on the trails where ATVs should be. Since Friday, the kid has not been out ONCE on his ATV. Things have been quiet. I appreciate everything Steve (the president) has done for my children!!

No comments: