Monday, January 08, 2007

Better than our local weathermen

Our weathermen have been off the mark pretty much all season. Take today - they said a mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain. It warmed up a lot last night, so we are dealing with another round of rain. It's absurd - VT and it's January and to date, I've seen a maybe 3 inches total land in my yard. We've had three "storms." One barely left a dusting. The next left half an inch. The other left about 2 inches tops. Saturday's mix of sun and clouds and 60 degree weather had the birds singing their springtime songs. My white lilac trees have budded. My pink sedum is up out of the ground.

For Christmas, my younger brother bought my husband this indoor/outdoor thermometer. My husband LOVES it. What I've noticed is that the barometer aspect that tells you what the weather will be like in 12 to 24 hours has yet to fail us.



Friday before I went to bed, I glanced at it and it showed the sun coming out from behind a cloud. Now the weathermen were saying rain tapering to showers by late afternoon. Sure enough, Saturday afternoon the sun started to come out. The barometer function was once again more accurate than our weathermen. I am thoroughly fascinated by it and wish we'd bought one a long time ago. Now if I really truly understood how barometric pressure works and is calculated....

No comments: