Thursday, January 18, 2007

American Idol

My husband, daughter, and I always watch the opening shows of American Idol. Year after year, I am continually amazed by people who show up for auditions and then sing their hearts out sounding more like a monkey on crack than a human. I'm sorry, but some of these people just CANNOT sign. Last night's show, in Seattle, leaves me with a lot of questions.

1. People continue to rant about how mean Simon is. Okay, first the taping takes place over an entire two day period. Two DAYS are turned into two HOURS. You know for ratings that the show is going to cut everything except Simon's comments, Paula's saccharin attitudes, and Randy's "Yo Dawg" garbage. It was very nice to see Randy show a little backbone and tell someone that they sucked. It was just as nice to see Simon rub it in a bit and fire the lousy singer up. I'd really LOVE to see Paula come right out and tell someone that they suck at singing and dancing. For the most part, I agree with everything Simon has to say. Though the Indian girl and her younger brother, while I agree he is the better singer, she did a great job too. It wasn't just okay.

2. I want to know how many of these people watch the taping of their audition and then cringe. I would hope that the majority are forced to watch it and then apologize for all the f-you Simon's. That guy who sang Unchained Melody last night. I had to mute the TV - his performance was brutal. I realize some people are tone deaf, but please. Perhaps you should go to some karoake bar first and see how the crowd reacts before you embarrass yourself on national television.

3. When you've been told you suck - why do some insist on ignoring the judges and sign even more. I couldn't stand the song that girl (the blonde who was her mom's twin - the only difference was age and hair color) did -- the "Dontcha Wish Your Girlfriend was hot like me...". I don't mind that song, but her rendition was horrifying. To then try to do Sweet Home Alabama. I was cringing.

No comments: