Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Driving Rules

I have a new rule. This blog entry goes out to the two drivers who beeped and gave me the finger yesterday! Perhaps you'll read this and learn something.

Exit 14 on the interstate has led to some one-lane issues which means the traffic is backed up for a long time. I was on the interstate yesterday and got caught in it. After spending 30 minutes moving from Exit 16 to the bridge over the Winooski River, I was getting hot and tired. My kids were no different. On the bridge, a sign stating "Merge Right. Left Lane closed in 1/2 mile" appeared. That means people had 1/2 mile to get over. So two drivers raced by on the left right when I was about 10 car lengths from the barrier with the lane closing. They then expected to be let in immediately. No one in front of me did and I wasn't about to either.

If you have had plenty of warning that you need to merge, then don't expect those who have merged in advance to suddenly feel sorry for you for ignoring the signs. I'm not about to let you in, not if you wait. If I had my way, you'd be sitting until the wee hours when traffic finally eases enough for you to get over without issue. If you can't follow the signs, you don't get the perk of getting on with your day. Sit and wait like the rest of us had been doing!

No comments: