Monday, August 21, 2006

Back to School with serious hesitation

My children head back to school next week. Neither my fourth or seventh grader is happy about the return to school. This is pretty typical you'd think. Unfortunately, I understand their hesitation.

I received my 7th grader's temporary schedule last year. It seems that with the start of 7th grade, they try to mimic a high school schedule. The schedule is given to them on the first day of school and then any changes have to be made by Monday (they return to school on Thursday.) His big issue is that they are given 15 minutes for lunch this year. Can you imagine? Fifteen minutes to stand in the lunch line, eat your lunch, and then it is a school rule that students at each table clean their own area. So this means the students at the 6-person table have to wipe down chairs and table surfaces, bring up trays, deposit any litter, eat, and get their lunch within 15 minutes. It's absurd. The government blames video games and TV for children's growing waistlines - I have my own ideas about training childen to wolf down an entire meal within at least 10 minutes. Then the 7th graders all go to their student advisor instead of recess where they will discuss bullying, peer pressure, and any educational concerns. My son has already announced that he does not want to bother bringing a lunch to school this year because he doesn't like having to eat it in record time. I can't blame him...

Meanwhile, my 4th grader will have a 20 minute lunch this year and then 10 minutes of recess. Every year, the recess gets shorter and shorter for these kids. Better yet, if they don't get their work done in time they have to skip recess and sit in their classroom and finish any school work instead. This happened last year to my daughter. She'd gone to one of her gifted classes and didn't have time to complete her writing assignment. So she was forced to skip recess. I was ticked and the school had to deal with my wrath. I'm not a popular person at that school - not at all.

No comments: