Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ideals

In my opinion, everyone has the freedom to form their own ideals in life. However, when they start preaching those ideals and telling me that I am wrong, I tend to turn into my evil Irish-heritaged self. So for the sake to today's post, if you are of an opinionated sort, that's fine. BUT, do not push your opinions onto others and then tell them they are "bad," "the problem with the world today," or otherwise offer them an insult. It's uncalled for and in my opinion part of the reason why the world is so screwy- intolerance is still too big a deal.

I got into a minor disagreement this week with someone who is becoming a vegetarian. I do not have issues with those practicing vegetarianism until they start preaching why I am so evil because I still eat meat. According to this person, people like me who eat eggs that are not necessarily free range, eat veal on special occasions, and do not eat organic meats are the reason the world is so awful.

I live on a budget. I eat and feed my family what we can afford. $4 a dozen for free-range eggs, double the cost for organic produce and meats is not something I will be tackling. You can disagree but don't then tell me how evil I am because of my budgetary concerns. Last organic produce I ate (spinach) made me pretty damn sick, so I'm not sure I like the whole organic bit anyway. Either way, something is going to kill us all, so I'm not going to put myself into bankruptcy paying the absurd prices for organic items. That's my choice.

We all have different opinions, that's what makes the human race unique. Not accepting others opinions and outright name calling because of them is what it truly wrong today.

No comments: