Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Will it work?

I have been waiting for the show, BONES, to premiere and finally last night it did. I am just not sure I really like it.

I think my problem lies with the fact that Hollywood really changed Kathy Reich's character. I can see creating a whole new character with a new name, go ahead and keep the career the same, but I think taking a long-time fictional character - making her younger, more athletic, and changing her location is just maddening. The Temperence from the show isn't like the one from the novel. She kicks butt, she's young, no daughter involved, she is based in the D.C area instead of Montreal. In reality, she is a new character with the same name. To me that's wrong, it wasn't what I was expecting.

I think the show has promise, more so with those that haven't read every Kathy Reichs book. For the long time fans, this new Temperence is going to be hard to get used to and if you manage to adapt, the books will then feel wrong.

No comments: