Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Harvest Time

Few families have time for it, but I always try to make jam/jelly and do some canning or freezing in the fall. This is the first year that I plan to turn the crab apples from my apple tree into jelly. I made the juice a couple days ago and have it sitting in the fridge. Yesterday I bought the wax and pectin so that I'd be ready to go today.

Jelly for me has always been hit or miss. I'm hoping it turns out okay, but it took me forever to find the best book I own on canning. Everyone has their favorite book and mine is clearly a book my husband acquired before we married.



This book has unique recipes and normal ones. The pickled green beans are exceptional, and there are a number of jam recipes that I've tested as well. While the book seems to lack a crab apple jelly recipe, they do have an apple jelly recipe that I'm using as a base. I can't wait to see what happens.

No comments: